AL - MOBILE BAY LIGHTHOUSE
By USCG - CG-232
Location: MOBILE HARBOR/MOBILE BAY
Station Established: 1885
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1885
Automated: YES, in 1935
Foundation Materials: SCREW PILING W/PLATFORM
Construction Materials: WOOD
Tower Shape: HEXAGONAL W/OUT LANTERN
Markings/Pattern: WHITE DWELLING/RED PILES
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: Fourth Order, 1885
Characteristic: Fixed white varied by a red flash every 30 seconds
Fog Signal: Bell struck by machinery every 5 seconds
The station was activated in 1885.
1916 was a busy year. The Keeper's wife gave birth to a baby that summer at the station. According to the Alabama Lighthouse Association web site the keeper brought a milk cow to the station and corralled it on a section of the lower deck because his wife was unable to nurse the newborn baby. All had to be evacuated when the station survived but was damaged by a hurricane.
The light was automated in 1935.
Lighthouse was deactivated in 1967.
In 1984 the lighthouse was stabilized by Middle Bay Light Centennial Commission in preparation for the centennial celebration.
Mobile Middle Bay Lighthouse was placed on National Register of Historic Places in 1985. Reference #74000429
In 1996 the Coast Guard loaned the Fresnel lens from the lighthouse to the Ft. Morgan Museum for public display.
In 2002 restoration efforts were begun to repair the light.